Veterinary university colleges and schools in all countries

Used to viewFlash Player 9 or higher.

Show all tags

University of Missouri the College of Veterinary Medicine

The MU College of Veterinary Medicine has several foci of strength. One is the unique clinical curriculum. The curriculum in the last two years requires six continuous weeks in each of seven clinical specialties. Teaching is done in a form of apprenticeship with as much pragmatic involvement as possible in the Teaching Hospital. The design of teaching within blocks is highly flexible and permits frequent adaptation and improvement. Graduates are offered an average of nearly three jobs each. Veterinary medicine at the University of Missouri began in 1884. It progressed through five stages — a course in veterinary science, a department of veterinary science, a school of veterinary medicine in the division of agricultural sciences, a school of veterinary medicine as a separate division, and finally, a College of Veterinary Medicine.
In 1885, the first vaccine-virus laboratory in the United States was established at the veterinary science department. A veterinary laboratory was erected in 1887. In early years, staff veterinarians taught courses to medical and agricultural students, conducted research on tick fever, and investigated livestock disease throughout the state.
The College's first building, Connaway Hall, was built in 1910-11 to house veterinary science faculty who taught courses to agricultural students, investigated animal and poultry diseases, performed diagnostic and extension work, and produced animal vaccines.
The professional curriculum leading to the DVM degree was established in 1946 to offer educational opportunities to World War II veterans. In 1950, 26 new veterinarians graduated in the first class.
From 1946-65 there were 30 students, all Missouri residents, in each of the four classes studying for the DVM degree. In 1965, class size doubled and non-residents were admitted in response to federal funding incentives. These federal “capitation” funds offered to alleviate a national shortage of veterinarians and stimulated another class size increase (to 76 students) in 1976. In the early 80's, the national need for veterinarians stabilized, federal funding was withdrawn and enrollment was lowered in the interest of quality education and efficient space planning. The College has graduated more than 2,600 veterinarians since 1946.
A teaching hospital was built in 1961, and a diagnostic laboratory and a teaching-research building were added in 1977. Clydesdale Hall, a 149,000-sq.-ft. medical teaching hospital, was completed and occupied in March 1993 (and was remodeled in 2000 to remain at the forefront of clinical education). A multi-million dollar renovation to the veterinary medicine building and Connaway Hall were completed in 1997 and 1998, respectively. 
The University of Missouri College of Veterinary Medicine is fully accredited by the American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA) Council on Education (COE). Accreditation is renewed on a yearly basis with a full evaluation every 7 years. The most recent full review was conducted in 2006 and the next full review is scheduled for 2013.

Contact Us:
College of Veterinary Medicine
1600 East Rollins
University of Missouri
Columbia, MO 65211
Admissions — (573) 884-3341
http://www.cvm.missouri.edu/

Related Articles
  • University of Missouri-Columbia College of Veterinary Medicine
  • The National Taiwan University, College of Bio-Resources & Agriculture, Dep ...
  • Ohio State University College of Veterinary Medicine
  • Iowa State University College of Veterinary Medicine
  • University of Georgia College of Veterinary Medicine

  • Home

    News Calendar

    «    September 2017    »
     
    1
    2
    3
    4
    5
    6
    7
    8
    9
    10
    11
    12
    13
    14
    15
    16
    17
    18
    19
    20
    21
    22
    23
    24
    25
    26
    27
    28
    29
    30
     

    Popular Articles

    Network Inventory Scanner