The Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, University of Belgrade is situated near the centre of the city at Bulevar oslobođenja 18, several hundred metres from the central Square Slavia towards Autokomanda Square, in the vicinity of Faculty of Medicine and the Faculty of Dentistry. When founded, some fifty years ago, it was located at the edge of the fast developing city. Recently, some steps towards its dislocation have been initiated.
Although the idea of founding the Faculty of Veterinary Medicine arose at the beginning of the twentieth century, the institution was established upon the Declaration of the Department of Education Act No 30281/36 in 1936 when it was named Veterinary Faculty of the University of Belgrade. On the 19th of August, 1936 first professors, mainly chosen among teachers of the Faculty of Medicine and/or Faculty of Agriculture and Forestry, were elected to start the courses in accordance with the decision of the University Senate. The First Dean was Professor Živojin Đorđević, PhD. A total of 149 students were enrolled in 1936 Class, and the teaching was performed at the premises of the Faculty of Medicine.
During the first year vacancies for professors, associate professors, assistant professors and assistants were opened. Many eminent persons who made huge contribution to the development of the Faculty were appointed among them professors Ilija Đuričić, PhD, Antonije Vuković, PhD; Čedomir Simić, PhD; Jovan Dimić, PhD; Vladeta Simić, PhD, etc were among first elected into collegiums.
Just before the outbreak of the Second World War the construction activity for the present Faculty Building started. Unfortunately, the construction and classes stops in 1941. The construction site revived in 1946, so that by 1948 most of the Faculty facilities, including some clinics were opened and the bases for research activity were also instituted.
In the past period the Faculty of Veterinary Medicine has developed into a huge university and research institution with 300 employees, 70 professors and assistant professors, 30 assistant lecturers, and 200 technical staff.
Presently there are 1400 students enrolled in undergraduate courses and 92 postgraduate students. By 2006, 7574 students had completed the undergraduate course, 355 graduated at MSc courses and 900 veterinarians graduated at postgraduate specialization courses at the Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Belgrade. There have been 742 publicly defended PhD theses. Many practicing veterinarians have had different forms of individual tuition and/or short courses for continuing education. Five professors of the Faculty of Veterinary Medicine have been chosen members of the Serbian Academy of Science.
- Equine, small animal, poultry and wild animal diseases
- Farm animal diseases
- Economics and statistics
- Pharmacology and toxicology
- Physiology and biochemistry
- Food hygiene and sanitary control
- Surgery, orthopaedics and ophthalmology
- Histology and embryology
- Animal nutrition
- Microbiology and immunology
- General education
- Parasitic diseases
- Reproduction, fertility and artificial insemination
- Radiology and radiation hygiene
- Animal breeding
- Forensic veterinary medicine
- Infectious diseases animals and bees
- Animal hygiene
The curriculum of 1936 was mostly similar to the one of the Faculty of Veterinary Medicine in Vienna, Austria and was corrected as time went by. Today, the course of study lasts 5 years, the ideological subjects taught during the period of socialism have been leftout of the curriculum, while the clinical courses have been extended, especially those pertaining the practical work.
Most of the teaching is done at the Faculty, while some practical work is organised on farms and in co-operative practices, on the field. The status of the Clinical Base of the Faculty of Veterinary Medicine was granted to the PKB cattle and pig farms and the Institute for Immunology and Virusology “Torlak” the largest institution including laboratory animal farms and serum producing animal farms in the country, also to Belgrade Hippodrome, etc.
After fulfiling all the requirements, the succesfull student of the Faculty is granted a title Doctor of Veterinary Medicine (DVM)
Presently, activities on revising the existing curriculum in order to meet EAEVE standards are initiated.
Clinical courses are organised mostly at the Faculty at Equine, Small Animal, Poultry and Wild Animal Clinic, where among specialised ambulances the Central Reception is situated, than at Farm Animal (cattle, sheep, goat and pig) Clinic, Reproduction and Fertility Clinic, Clinic of Surgery and at the Department of Radiology and Physical Therapy. The existing clinical facilities are used for various professional activities: in addition to teaching and clinical practic for students they are supporting veterinary practitioners and breeding and farm facilities throughout the country.
A good proportion of the services is organized through Central Clinical Laboratory where haematological, biochemical, cytological, serological, microbiological and parasitological evaluations are performed for internal needs as well as for services. The laboratory is used both for students* practical classes and for research activities going on at the level of the Faculty itself. The reception of the samples and materials for specialized laboratories at the Faculty, i.e.: food hygiene and control, feed hygiene and control, etc, is also organized at the Central Laboratory.
Vlado Teodorović, Ph.D., professor
Tel: +381 11 2685-936