Veterinary university colleges and schools in all countries

Used to viewFlash Player 9 or higher.

Show all tags

Lithuanian veterinary academy

The mission and strategic objectives of Lithuanian Veterinary Academy are to train highly qualified veterinary doctors, animal husbandry technologists, veterinary food safety specialists and scientists conforming to international standards and requirements; to develop modern fundamental, applied and experimental research in biomedical sciences, veterinary medicine and zootechnics. Lithuanian Veterinary Academy (LVA) is a university type school of higher education, having rich experience and traditions in training specialists of veterinary medicine, food safety and animal husbandry technology. It is the only scholarly institution, awarding diplomas of higher education for veterinary doctors and animal husbandry technologists in Lithuania. Founded in 1936, Lithuanian Veterinary Academy is the only school of higher education training veterinary doctors and animal husbandry technologists in Lithuania. Lithuanian Veterinary Academy is a state owned, autonomous institution of higher education, with university level status. The academy has a student body of 1561, including 50 doctoral students, as for October 1st, 2005.
Teaching facilities at the Lithuanian Veterinary Academy
Faculty of Veterinary Medicine – 6 departments;
Faculty of Animal Husbandry Technology – 5 departments;
12 scientific laboratories, acting under the departments;
Continuing Education Centre;
Library.
After 1918 when the Independence of Lithuania was proclaimed, the suggestion to establish a veterinary school of higher education was first made by Agricultural Ministry’s Veterinary Department.
In 1922 the Veterinary department under the Faculty of Medicine in Kaunas University started its activity.
In 1929 this department was closed due to shortage of finance. Nevertheless, the development of national agricultural production and growing demand of veterinary specialists showed that establishment of national veterinary school of higher education was necessary. Considering that, in 1936 Lithuanian Veterinary Academy was established in Kaunas, provisional capital of Lithuania.
Facilities were consistently enlarging:
in 1937 the new building of Anatomy Department was built;
in 1939 Large Animal Clinic containing departments of surgery and internal diseases was constructed as well.
In 1939 the academy already had 9 departments, 10 associate professors and 1 professor working in it; 65 students pursued the careers in veterinary.
In 1940, when Lithuania was occupied by the Soviet Union, the academy was reorganized according to standards of the soviet school for higher education; the enrollment of students was increased, as the new discipline of political science was introduced. In 1941 a training farm was established.
Under Nazi occupation education process in LVA fell into disarray, and in spring 1943, LVA as well as other institutions of higher education in Lithuania was closed. Its quarters were used as German soldiers’ hospital.
During postwar period teaching and administrative staff experienced a lot of difficulties: there was lack of experienced teachers, text books and electricity. In the spring of 1946, the flood destroyed part of existing laboratories, buildings, all laboratory pets.
In 1946 the faculty of Zootechnics was established, and training of zootechnicians was started. The faculty was reorganized in 1992 and changed its name to Animal Husbandry Technology. In 1949 the faculty of studies by correspondence was opened.
In 1976 the centre for continuing education started its activity, and about 250 veterinary surgeons and zootechnicians followed continued training annually.
In 1974 the scientific sector was established, the number of students as well as teaching and scientific staff increased.
In 2001 Lithuanian Veterinary Institute and Lithuanian Institute of Animal Science were incorporated into Academy‘s structure.
In 2004, by the order of rector, departments of both faculties were reorganized. Now there are two faculties: Veterinary Medicine and Animal Husbandry Technology, 11 departments, 5 scientific centres, 11 scientific laboratories, Large Animal Clinic, Dr. L. Kriaučeliūnas Small Animal Clinic, Centre for Continuing Education.

Contact:
Tilžės g. 18,
LT - 47181,
Kaunas.
Phone +370 37 36 23 83; 36 32 59,
Fax: +370 37 36 24 17.
e-mail: reklva@lva.lt

http://www.lva.lt/

Related Articles
  • Lithuanian Veterinary Academy
  • the Vitebsk State Academy of Veterinary Medicine
  • The University of Agricultural Sciences and Veterinary Medicine of Cluj-Nap ...
  • The University of Forestry, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine
  • the State Agrarian University of Armenia Faculty of Veterinary Medicine

  • Home

    News Calendar

    «    April 2018    »
     
    1
    2
    3
    4
    5
    6
    7
    8
    9
    10
    11
    12
    13
    14
    15
    16
    17
    18
    19
    20
    21
    22
    23
    24
    25
    26
    27
    28
    29
    30
     

    Popular Articles