General facts on Faculty of Veterinary Medicine – Zagreb
|Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, University of Zagreb was founded in 1919 as a four year college. On 7 December 1924 the school was renamed into the Faculty of Veterinary Medicine and it became a part of the University of Zagreb. Since then it has been the only faculty of that kind in the Republic of Croatia. The Faculty comprises a number of premises; lecture and teaching rooms, computer laboratories and laboratories and facilities where large and small animals are kept. Well equipped infrastructure provides conditions for scientific research, teaching as well as cooperation with the economic sector (agriculture, biotechnology, animal origin food production). Striving to achieve international high teaching standards the Faculty has been evaluated by EAEVE (European Association for the Establishment of the Veterinary Education). The changes appointed by the EAEVE expert team are included in the new curriculum.
Teaching, scientific and highly skilled activities of the Faculty are based on the work of institutes and clinics integrated since academic year 2005/06 into four departments: Basic and Pre-clinical Sciences Division, Animal Production and Biotechnology Division, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine Clinics and Veterinary Public Health and Food Safety Division. The fifth department, Management, Chairs and Technical Services besides an office manager and accounting, also include IT section, Central library as well as Chair of Foreign Languages and Chair of Physical Training.
Since the beginning of the academic year 2005/06 the Faculty of Veterinary Medicine of the University of Zagreb has been implementing the new curriculum entitled University study of Veterinary medicine. The study lasts for six years (12 semesters) – 360 ECTS points.
Experiences at and recommendations by a number of leading veterinary institutions of higher education in the world, particularly of the European Association of Establishments for Veterinary Education (EAEVE), were acknowledged in drafting the new curriculum. Most teaching such as lessons, seminars, practical work and other forms of consultations are performed within the Faculty tract situated in the south east Zagreb.
The premises include 12 buildings with teaching rooms, student practicum, laboratories and computer laboratories. Completely
refurbished large lecture room with the most sophisticate equipment offers an opportunity for multimedia and teleconference
presentations. Moreover, better working conditions have been achieved due to involment in a framework of IVSA-Croatia
(International Veterinary Students Association) and Equus (Veterinary Medic
ine Student Association) activities by recently remade student premises.
Animal Production and Biotechnology Division
Veterinary Public Health and Food Safety Division
Faculty of Veterinary Medicine Clinics
University of Zagreb Faculty of Veterinary Medicine
Departments, Clinics and Chairs of the Faculty