About the University
Welcome to the website of the University of Forestry – Sofia. The University of Forestry is the only university in Bulgaria providing training of specialists in the field of Forestry, Wood Technology and Furniture Production, Engineering Design of Furniture and Landscape Architecture.
The legal foundation of higher forestry education in Bulgaria was laid on January 28, 1925, when the Academic Council of the Sofia University decided to set up a Department of Forestry at the Agronomy Faculty of the university.
That decision was preceded by a long-standing struggle of Bulgarian foresters against the plundering and destruction of forests after the 1878 Liberation from Turkish rule. A lot of opinions and proposals appeared in the specialised newspapers and magazines, as well as in the daily press, regarding both the management of forests and their use and the role of the forest ranger and his or her professional training, especially after the enforcement of Forest Acts from 1883, 1889, 1897, 1904 and 1922. However, only after the graduation of Bulgarian young people from forestry universities abroad (mainly in the Check Republic, Germany and France) and their appointment to administrative positions in forest management units, did a truly purposeful and well-founded protection of the Bulgarian forest begin.
The University of Forestry has 6 faculties offering 8 profiles. Each faculty has a number of departments as described bellow:
• Faculty of Forestry has six departments - Department of Dendrology, Department of Soil Science, Department of Hunting and Game Management, Department of Silviculture, Department of Forest Management and Department of Technology and Mechanization of Forestry
• Faculty of Forest Industry has six departments - Department of Mechanical Wood Technology, Department of Furniture Production, Department of Interior and Furniture Design, Department of Woodworking Machines, Department of Mechanization and Automation of Production, and Department of Mathematics and Physics
• Faculty of Ecology and Landscape Architecture has four departments - Department of Ecology, Department of Park and Landshaft Projecting, Department of Park and Landshaft construction, and Department of Pathology of the plants and chemistry
• Faculty of Agronomy has four departments - Department of Plant Protection, Department of regional Horticultur, Department of General Horticulture, and Department of Sport
• Faculty of Veterinary Medicine has five departments - Department of Anatomy, Histology and Physiology, Department of Amimal Science, Department of Internal Non-Communicable Diseases, Pathology and Pharmacology, Department of Surgery, Roentgenology, Obstetrics, Gynaecology and Reproduction Biotechnology, and Department of Infectious Pathology, Veterinary-Sanitary Control and Animal Product Technology, and Management of Veterinary Activities
• Faculty of Business Management has five departments - Department of Management and Utilization of Natural Resources, Department of Marketing and Production Management", Department of Economics, Department of Computer Science and Informatics, and Department of Foreign Languages and Pedagogy
There has never been a better time for investing in Bulgaria. Given the current economic realities of Europe, the Bulgarian investment value proposition is hard to match! The dynamics of the process of economic and society change that is taking place now in Bulgaria is unprecedented in history and is as promising as it has never been before.
From an investment standpoint Bulgaria offers opportunities that are virtually impossible to find in other places. The economy is stable and growing, investment costs are one of the lowest in Europe, the labor force is skilled and educated, corporate taxes are the lowest in Europe, and the government is making resolute steps to attract foreign companies.
We are in the business of implementing investment projects in Bulgaria. Our business idea is simple - we deliver value to investors by saving them time, money, and tons of other efforts using our broad knowledge of the Bulgarian business environment and market segments, country-wide connections with the leading Bulgarian businesses, dedicated and ethical working style, and a broad network of partners specializing in practically all activities required for a successful launch of operations in Bulgaria.
Thank you for visiting us and do contact us should you need assistance with your Bulgarian projects. We will go the extra mile for our customers and will do anything that we can to turn our client's ideas into success stories
- Prof. Dr. Georgi Kovachev, Dr.Sc., Ph.D., (“Animal anatomy” 1994 – 2004; currently part-time professor)
- Prof. Dr. Konstantin Dimitrov Kovachev, Ph.D. (“cytology and histology” and “Embryology” 2001-2005; currently part-time professor)
- Prof. Dr. Nikola Georgiev Sedloev (“Animal physiology” 1995 – 2002)
- Prof. Dr. Georgi Naydenov Gradinarski, (“Animal ethology” part-time professor 1995-1999)
- Prof. Dr. Yoncho Kostov Peychev, Dr.Sc. (“Animal Physiology” and “Animal ethology” 1999-2006; currently part-time professor)
- Prof. Dr. Hristo Kostadinov Gadev, Dr.Sc. (“Animal anatomy” part-time professor 1995-1996)
- Prof. Dr. Yordan Tsanov Petrov, Dr.Sc. (“Animal anatomy” part-time professor 1997-1998)
Animal breeding science
The department is situated in a building “D” of University of Forestry, fl. 1
The department was founded in 1995. The department united fundamental subjects that are needed to build highly skilled veterinary specialists. The founders of the department were Prof. D. Sc. Dimiter Dobriyanov and Prof. D. Sc. Peter Dilov. The first head of the department was Prof. Dobriyanov. They founded the material base for conducting classes and organized the scientific-research work of the department due to their contacts with other scientific groups and experimental bases.
Internal diseases and pharmacology
The Department is hosted by D-building of the University, situated in the Studentski grad, in front of the Winter Sport Palace. Besides the lecture halls and working offices, the department owns a specialized sector for internal diseases, where specialized veterinary service is provided to pets from Sofia and from the country. The department was established in December 1999 and is based on the separate departments “Internal non-contagious diseases”, „Pathology” and „Pharmacology, general therapy and toxicology”, headed by Prof. Georgi Mihailov, Prof. Vasil Ivanov and Prof. Boris Georgiev, respectively. Since1999, department head has been Assoc. Prof. Geno Angelov. In 2004 the subjects Pathological physiology and Immunology dropped out of the department, and were replaced by Toxicology and Dietetics. In 2008 the subjects General pathological morphology and Special pathological anatomy dropped out of the department.
Surgery, anesthesiology, radiology, state veterinary medicine, and public health
The Department of surgery, radiology, obstetrics, gynecology and biotechnology of reproduction was established in 2000 as a result of uniting the existing two departments: Department of surgery, radiology and physical therapy (created in 1996 with head Assoc.Prof. Kolyo Vlahov, PhD) and Department of obstetrics, gynecology and artificial insemination (created in 1996 with head Prof. Liubomir Kanchev, DrSc.). A head of the new Department since 2000 until now is Assoc.Prof. Bogdan Aminkov. DrSc. Dr.Nikolai Borissov was Assistant Professor (1997-2002), Assoc.Prof. Ivan Borissov, DrSc was invited lecturer in veterinary dentistry (2002-2004) and Prof. Svetoslav Tzolov, DrSc was invited lecturer (2001-2004). Assoc.Prof. Kolyo Vlahov, PhD has been invited lecturer since 2003.
Infectious pathology, hygiene, technology and control of foodstuffs of animal origin
The subject of Hygiene, technology and control of food from animal origin are studied by students in veterinary medicine in the ninth and tenth semester. The task of training is to familiarize them with the composition, properties and fundaments of the technology for extraction and processing of meat, meat products, dairy, poultry, eggs, honey, fish and technical animal materials as well as control and safety quality of raw materials and food stuffs of animal origin, the whole chain "from farm to table".
Microbiology is an important discipline with significance for the training of the students in veterinary medicine. The syllabus includes selected themes from the general and particular veterinary microbiology, which teaching gives to the students a theoretical knowledge and practical skills. They are necessary for their further teaching, as well as for their future activity as veterinary doctors. In the educational course in veterinary microbiology is given schooling in morphology and physiology of the pathogenic for the domestic animals and humans bacteria. In view of the fact that microbiology is in direct connection with infectious diseases, basic knowledge for the most important from the pathogenesis, clinical and pathological changes, diagnostic methods, prophylactic and therapeutic means also is given.
During the study course of Infectious Diseases students are introduced to various communicable diseases common to two or more species of animals and humans (zoonoses). Special attention is paid to the actual country and the region highly contagious disease. Materials included in course are directly related to the subject of epidemiology and prevention by disinfection and disinfestation, microbiology and virology, immunology, animal health expertise. Rationalized received theoretical and practical knowledge to students of Pathological Anatomy, Pathophysiology, parasitology, pharmacology, toxicology, non-communicable diseases. Subject "Epidemiologiiya and preventive medicine" aims to give students of veterinary medicine at the necessary theoretical and practical knowledge of mass occurring diseases in animals. Studied infectious process (macro-micro relations) and the epidemic process (the conditions of occurrence of epidemics and the drivers of the epidemic process). To summarize our experience and global prevention of mass diseases and steps to implement their control (the discovery, containment and eradication of epidemics emerged).
The program provides for consideration of individual nosological units or groups, in each case to introduced students with the following main characteristics: an etiological factor; epizootiology of the disease, pathogenesis of disease, clinical manifestations of disease, Diagnosis, Treating, Preventing, Fighting infectious disease.
ADMINISTRATION: ph. +359 2 9625997; +359 2 91907 âúòð. 480.
GLAVEN: ph. +359 2 9625998;; +359 2 91907
DEPARTMENT: ph. +359 2 8688632; +359 2 91907