Veterinary university colleges and schools in all countries

Used to viewFlash Player 9 or higher.

Show all tags

THE UNIVERSITY OF ZIMBABWE the Faculty of Veterinary

THE UNIVERSITY OF ZIMBABWE the Faculty of Veterinary

GENERAL INFORMATION ABOUT THE UNIVERSITY OF ZIMBABWE

Mission statement
Enabling our clients and customers to make meaningful contributions to sustainable development in Zimbabwe. To this end we provide high quality education, training and advisory services on a needs oriented basis. We guarantee the above by maintaining excellence in Teaching, Learning, Research and Service to the Community
Vision
To be (and be recognised by others as) a leading University working for prosperity, peace and dignity in Zimbabwe and beyond.
Location of the University of Zimbabwe
The University is situated 6km North of Zimbabwe's capital Harare on 191,8 hectares of land donated by the Harare City Council. All 10 faculties are located at the Mt Pleasant site. The College of Medicine is situated at Parirenyatwa Hospital, Zimbabwe's largest referral hospital.
A new Health Sciences college, the Bulawayo College of Health Sciences was set up in Bulawayo with a Pro Vice Chancellor and a Dean. The college is situated at the National University of Science and Technology (NUST) and the clinical departments are situated at Mpilo Hospital and United Bulawayo Hospital.
History of the University of Zimbabwe
On 19 May 1947, His Excellency the Governor of southern Rhodesia established by trust deed the Rhodesian University Foundation Fund
In 1952 the Rhodesian University Association promoted a private bill in the Southern Rhodesian Legislative Assembly, which was enacted on 29 August, 1952, for the incorporation and constitution of the University.
This Act established an Inaugural Board which met for the first time in January 1953.
In June 1953, the Inaugural Board made its decision that the sole test for admission to the University would be educational attainments and good character.
On 13 July 1953 Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother laid the foundation stone on the Mount Pleasant site.
Her Majesty later graciously consented to accept office of President, when the Charter was granted, and so continued until February 1970.
In November 1953, Dr William Rollo, was appointed interim Principal for two years December 1955 by Dr Walter Adams.
In 1956 the college was admitted to the privilege of Special Relation with the University of London.
In 1963 the Medical School was opened, affiliated to the University of Birmingham.
The dissolution of the Federation of Rhodesia and Nyasaland in 1963 “an independent institution of learning, open to all races, serving not only the higher education requirements of Rhodesia but also contributing to the advancement of knowledge, science and research in Central Africa and within the international community of Universities”.
In January 1970 the College and the University of London agreed to a phased termination of the Scheme of Special Relation so that the last intake for degrees of the University of London was that of 1970.
The formal association of the University of Birmingham with the College was also terminated and the last intake for medical degrees of the University of Birmingham was that of 1970. Full university status was achieved on January 1971
In March 1974 the first student for a four year honours degree were accepted were accepted into the Faculty of Engineering.
At independence the University of Rhodesia became the University of Zimbabwe. In January 1980 the Faculties of Agriculture and Commerce and Law were established.
In 1982 a Bill to make further and better provision for the governance of the University was enacted by Parliament thereby replacing the Royal Charter. Same year, Faculty of Veterinary Science was established with an intake of eighteen students, eleven of whom graduated in 1986.
In 1988, the Faculty of Commerce and Law split into two distinct faculties, namely the Faculty of Commerce and the Faculty of Law.
In 1989, the University assumed responsibility for the Bachelor of Technology programmes at the Bulawayo Technical College and Harare Polytechnic. In 1990, the University of Zimbabwe Amendment Act was enacted.
10 Faculties, namely: Arts, Agriculture, Engineering, Commerce, Law, Science, Social Studies, Education, Veterinary Science and College of Health Sciences.
Over the years the University has been putting emphasis on research mainly through its non-teaching units which include University Lake Kariba Research Station, Institute of Development Studies, Development Technology Centre, the African Languages Research Institute, the Institute of Environmental Studies and the Centre for Defence Studies.
The University of Zimbabwe helped start four new State Universities namely Chinhoyi University of Technology, Masvingo State University, Zimbabwe Open University and Bindural University of Science Education.
The University also has associate institutions which include teachers’ colleges, technical colleges, agricultural colleges, nursing colleges and seminaries where it provides quality control and opportunities for further training.
The current Vice Chancellor has made greater contributions to the University of Zimbabwe by ensuring that the University is strategically focused.
His major areas of focus include human resources, learning, research, information and communication technology, the community, governance and internationalizing the university.

Welcome to the Faculty of Veterinary 
The Faculty of Veterinary Science (FVS) was inaugurated as a teaching institution at the University of Zimbabwe (UZ) in 1982. It is one of the youngest Faculties in the University. Its inauguration came about after lengthy negotiations with the then European Community (EC) who, in their thrust to support the agricultural industry in the Southern African region, were convinced of the value of such a school. The EC agreed to fund the construction of the buildings on a site on the UZ main campus as well as equipping them comprehensively. The buildings were completed and occupied in 1985.
The FVS falls under the Umbrella of the UZ and its mandate is teaching, research and service. It is equipped to international standards and ideal for high level teaching and research. It has a well-equipped Veterinary Teaching Hospital and operates a mobile or ambulatory clinic. The Veterinary Teaching Hospital is made up of Large Animal and Small Animal sections dealing with primary as well as referral cases. The ambulatory clinic serves certain commercial, smallholder farms and nearby communal areas.
Science Mission
To provide undergraduate and postgraduate professional veterinary training of an international standard. The Faculty pays particular attention to animal management systems, disease control measures and human-animal-environment interaction that will benefit the agricultural economy and enhance the quality of life in Zimbabwe and the Southern African region.
Vision
To be an international centre of excellence in training, research and service in animal health and production and contribute to enhancement of quality of life on a sustainable basis.

Contact:
University of Zimbabwe
P.O. Box MP167
Mount Pleasant
Harare
Tel.: +2634303211
Web site: http://www.uz.ac.zw/

Related Articles
  • University of Zimbabwe - Faculty of Veterinary Science
  • University of Limpopo (Medical University of Southern Africa), Faculty of V ...
  • The Usmanu Danfodiyo University, Sokoto FACULTY OF VETERINARY MEDICINE
  • Internet popularity rating of veterinary schools and colleges in South-Afri ...
  • The Ahmadu Bello University Faculty of Veterinary Medicine

  • Home

    News Calendar

    «    November 2017    »
     
    1
    2
    3
    4
    5
    6
    7
    8
    9
    10
    11
    12
    13
    14
    15
    16
    17
    18
    19
    20
    21
    22
    23
    24
    25
    26
    27
    28
    29
    30
     

    Popular Articles